Popular Siding Material Options to Consider for Your Home
Siding is a specially designed protective material that is attached to the outside wall of a building or structure. Along with the roof, it works to protect the home from storm and weather damage, insect damage, and the effects of time. Siding also helps to boost the insulation properties of the walls and reduces heat and cold exchange inside the building. After years of wear and tear from storms and the changing seasons, siding can begin to break down and show its age. Cracks can form, boards can become loose, paint can bubble or peel, and wood can begin to rot. Damaged siding can ruin your home’s curb appeal and even lower its value!
Don’t let this happen to you, instead call the experts and get Stay Dry Roofing repair services today. We can help you choose the siding replacement options that are right for you and your home. The siding material and style you choose for your home also can enhance its beauty and even increase its value. There is an ever-growing variety of options to choose from when you are looking at siding options. Some of the popular siding options that many of our customers here at Stay Dry Roofing have fallen in love with are available today.
Issues to Consider
Before you decide on the type of siding material you want for your home, there are some important things to consider. These factors can have a huge impact on the type of siding that is right for you. Think about how the siding you are considering stacks up in each of these areas:
- Water Resistant
Some siding is more water resistant than others. This can help extend the life of the siding and protect your home. For areas that get a lot of rain, this is a must for siding!
- Energy Efficiency
Siding materials have what is known as an R-value or energy efficiency rating. The higher the R-value the better it will insulate your home and the better it is overall.
- Aesthetics & Texture
The color, texture, and overall aesthetics can have a huge impact on how your home looks with the siding. The popular siding options are ones that improve the look of the home.
Think about how you are going to install the siding and how much of it you will need. A large two-story home may not be suited for expensive cement board siding but be better with vinyl siding.
There are many options for eco-friendly siding. Some are made from sand and cement, and even wood siding can help the environment when it comes from upcycled sources.
Some siding can last 10-20 years and others need to be replaced every 5-10 years. Be sure to think about the long-term investment you are making when choosing your siding.
Installing siding is not cheap because of the material, labor, and amount of siding that may be needed. Keep your budget in mind when looking at popular siding options for your home upgrade.
Types of Siding To Choose From
As we have seen, siding can be a great investment in your home’s value. However, many homeowners are confused about what type of siding is right for their home. Here at Stay Dry Roofing, we have helped many homeowners like you find the perfect siding for their homes. Some of the varieties we see in the area include these popular siding options:
- Vinyl siding is without a doubt still the most popular type of siding in the country. It is estimated that roughly 30% of new home siding installations are done with vinyl siding. This type of siding has been so popular for decades and this is largely due to its durability, versatility, customization, and ease of installation. There are many styles you can choose from if you are interested in vinyl siding. The most popular ones include shakes, shingles, horizontal and vertical panels, board n batten, beaded, dutch lap, and scallops. Vinyl siding sits high on the list of popular siding options and continues to be among the best siding options for homeowners. It’s easy to install, costs less, and can be customized to fit any style home. So while it might not be the longest lasting or best for insulation value, it is still leading the pack for residential siding.
- Metal siding has been around for many years, though until the last decade or so, it has largely been associated with commercial buildings. This is beginning to change as more and more homeowners are discovering the benefits of metal siding. Today it is most commonly associated with modern style homes, which are gaining popularity throughout the country. This is giving rise to more metal siding being used in residential constructions. Installing metal siding gives a clean and modern look to your home along with a unique appeal if it is done correctly by siding professionals. The most common types of materials are aluminum and steel siding. Aluminum will not corrode as easily as steel but it is more easily damaged due to being softer and thinner in composition. The Stay Dry Roofing experts can help you determine which metal siding material is best for your home!
- One of the most beautiful options for residential siding is wood, and it is also a siding material that is gaining popularity today. This type of siding brings a very warm and natural look to any home. It makes for a beautiful exterior and can really help improve the curb appeal and value of your home. The changing colors and tones of wood are very appealing to many. It is a stark contrast to the monotone color of many man-made siding materials. There are several varieties to choose from, the more common ones being spruce, pine, oak, fir, cedar, maple, and redwood. Wood siding lasts decades when it is properly cared for. Some people are turned off by wood siding because they fear the environmental impact and this is a valid concern. However, most wood for siding is harvested from tree farms and upcycling old wood panels- a trend that is gaining popularity.
- Another popular siding option that is quickly rising in popularity for new home constructions and modern renovations is fiber cement. This modern siding is made with a mixture of wood fibers, sand, and cement. It is built to mimic the look and feel of natural wood siding, with less hassle of maintenance, less chance for insect problems, and less initial cost. James Hardie Siding is by far the most popular and is the original cement siding used in the residential and commercial industry. The interest in this type of siding has continued to climb every year and this is largely due to its durability and versatility. When it comes to popular siding options, James Hardie Siding is gaining ground in the residential sector. While it can be expensive to install initially the final value it brings as well as improved insulation and superior fire retardation makes it a choice more homeowners are going for.
- The final siding variety that we see a lot of here at Stay Dry Roofing is brick. In the age of modern home constructions, brick siding is still a very popular choice among homeowners. It is an attractive choice, largely due to the fact that it can easily last a lifetime with minimal care and maintenance. You can find buildings that were constructed over 100 years ago with brick siding still in surprisingly good condition. Brick siding comes in regular brick masonry (solid brick) as well as brick veneer panels. For homeowners looking for a rustic or more traditional style home, brick is a great option. If you are not keen on covering the entire home with brick, it does pair beautifully with vinyl siding, Hardie Siding, and wood siding. If you want to learn more about these new yet increasingly popular siding options, give Stay Dry Roofing a call today to learn about brick siding.
Contact Us Today
The siding material that you choose and style you decide to go with for your home can enhance the appeal and value of your home in amazing ways. There is an ever-growing variety of options to choose from when you are looking at siding and our team of siding experts can help you weigh your options and make the choice that is right for you and your home.
Some of the popular siding options that many of our customers here at Stay Dry Roofing have fallen in love with are available today from our siding experts. Call us to schedule a free consultation and evaluation and let us help you through the process of finding the siding that will make your house into a beautiful and inviting home! For more information on popular siding options and why you should consider getting siding for your home, let our experts answer your questions and address any concerns you may have. Call today to get started!