How To Choose Roofing Contractors in Indianapolis
Of all the systems that make up your home, the roofing system is one of the most critical. When you have problems such as leaks and storm damage or simply a roof that is worn out and in need of repairs, you need to find a roofing contractor you can trust. If you have ever had to search for a roofing contractor in Indianapolis you know how quickly the scammers and con-artists can come out of the woodwork. Here at Stay Dry Roofing, we are committed to providing quality service and only the finest products. We want to help everyone in Indianapolis and the surrounding area find a contractor to provide the best roofing services available. Here’s what you need to know about affordable roofing and how to tell you are working with the best of the best when it comes to Indianapolis roofing contractors in the area:
Am I Working With a Legitimate Company or a Con-Artist?
This is one of the biggest concerns homeowners and business owners have when looking for someone to work on their roof. It is a justified concern and we hear horror stories all the time about people who fall victim to a scammer. A legitimate roofing company should not have any problem providing you with any of the following when you ask:
- Local references, testimonials, and locations
- Business license number and/or documentation
- Roofing credentials and experience examples
- Workers compensation insurance proof
- General liability insurance documentation
- Written manufacturer and material warranties
- Track record as a roofing contractor in Indianapolis
Tips for Staying Safe When Choosing Roofing Contractors
- Deal only with local contractors who have a local office and who have been established in the community for a while.
- Get recommendations from people you trust and check local business review site like Yelp or the Better Business Bureau.
- Take your time before signing any paperwork and make sure you read everything and understand it fully.
- Don’t work with a roofing contractor who asks for upfront payments; a partial deposit is acceptable but never full price or in cash.
- Be skeptical of contractors that try to push quick roof restoration that won’t last or who want to make temporary fixes.
- Ask someone who has been through the process to review the contract with you before signing or speak to your attorney for their advice.
- Be careful of drive-by contractors who use door-to-door sale tactics or who leaves a flier on your doorknob or in your mailbox.
- Phrases to watch out for: “insurance companies are compensating” and “most homeowners are unaware of the storm damage on their roof.”
- Get someone not associated with the company to do a roof inspection to see if the suggested repairs and work seem legit.
- If anything sounds too good to be true with rates or deals then it probably is and you should find someone else for your new roof work.
- Indianapolis roofing contractors will have the company logo on their vehicles and uniforms and will answer the phone with the company name.
After a storm or natural disaster
Unscrupulous con-artists will often descend after a storm has passed by and may come knocking on your door telling you they see you need roofing work done. In nine out of ten cases, someone knocking on your door unsolicited will not be fully honest or trustworthy. You should be very cautious as you proceed and here are some tips to keep in mind if someone shows up on your doorstep one day offering to fix storm damage you didn’t even know you had:
- Do not give in to the pressure and don’t let them rush you into signing papers right away so they can start work. Ask for a written estimate, get their business card and find out their contact information and call them a day or two later to see if the story changes.
- Beware of any roof repair company that puts emphasis on getting a roof replacement paid for by the insurance company. In most cases, they are trying to use it to get you to give them money upfront and telling you to get reimbursed later by the insurance.
- Talk to your insurance agent, see what your policy covers, how they go about determining what they will pay for your roof. Ask for advice on how to proceed with the repairs and how to find the best roofing company in Indianapolis for your roofing needs.
- Look into the track record of all local roof repair companies you are considering hiring. Look for companies with a good reputation in your community and who have been successful in the area and can show a good track record with roofing needs like yours.
- Always get at least three to five quotes from different companies. The cheapest quote is not always the right one and will often time result in less than quality work. Local roofing experts will provide an itemized quote to help you make an informed choice.
Things to Do Every Time You Need Roofing Contractors in Indianapolis
Whether you are faced with emergency roof repairs, commercial roof replacement, roof leak repairs, storm damage repairs, or any other roofing needs, Stay Dry Roofing is here to help! To find the best Indianapolis roofing contractors, you need to do these 10 things:
Get local referrals. You are less likely to run into scammers when dealing with local contractors because they are proven and known in the area. Con-artists never stay in one area very long so people don’t know who they are. Local roofing contractors also know the codes and regulations and can ensure everything meets local and state guidelines.
Check manufacturer designations. Manufacturer designations are seen in the commercial and residential roofing industry as a badge of honor. This is because the contractor must pass certain minimum requirements to be certified. Remember that some manufacturers have more stringent requirements but it’s something to look for.
Check the BBB ratings. Some contractors come and go changing the storms and preying on unsuspecting residents. When you are looking at working with a contractor you need to look them up on the BBB website and make sure they have a good score. If they are not listed on BBB.org or have a poor rating you are better off finding someone else!
Get an extensive warranty. Not all contractors will offer a warranty and if they don’t then that is a major red flag. If there is no extended warranty or guarantee on the material and work done, you could be the one paying for repairs if something goes wrong down the road. Checking for a warty is the best way you can protect yourself.
Ask for licensing and insurance. Without insurance and proper licensing, the work done on your home or business may be faulty. Most states require licensing for contractors, but there is little that stops con-artists from posing as contractors so you must be proactive! So, protect yourself and be sure to ask to see proof of licensing and insurance for the Indianapolis area.
Pay your deductible. Any contractor who says that the repair work can be done without you having to pay your insurance deductible is committing insurance fraud and is also opening you up to legal problems. You must pay whatever deductible insurance requires as it is stated in your policy. To do otherwise puts you at risk for fines or even jail time!
Handle your own claim. A contractor claiming to be “a claim specialist” is most likely also committing fraud and breaking the law. In most states, it is illegal for contractors to fil the claims and deal with the insurance. It is only the policyholder who can do this and no third party can negotiate with the insurance company on behalf of the property owner.
Don’t give in to pressure. Overly pushy sales tactics and high-pressure talk should be a red flag. No legitimate roof repair contractor will need to pressure you to act now. The best roofing contractors in Indianapolis will work with you and help you on your terms. They will not try to pressure, scare, or intimidate you into making a snap decision.
Contact Us Today at Stay Dry Roofing
If you are looking for a local roofer or roof repair company, Stay Dry Roofing is here to help! We have years of experience in the Indianapolis area and have worked on countless commercial roofing systems and helped many homeowners with their residential roofing needs as well. Whether you need roof installations, new roof estimates, roof repair work or maintenance, or a full home roof replacement or upgrade, we invite you to give us a call today! Our team of friendly and knowledgeable staff makes it easy to find roofing contractors in Indianapolis who can take care of you and your roofing system. Call us today for a free consultation! See for yourself why we are the roofing specialists more people trust.