Four Warning Signs Of Roof Trouble
Four Important Warning Signs of Roof Trouble
If you have put off routine roof care and maintenance, and it has been a while since your roof was last inspected, your first priority needs to be identifying and addressing any major problems. There are many warning signs of roof trouble that you need to be on the lookout for in order to prevent costly, premature roof replacement.
Getting the best roof repair in Indianapolis when problems occur is critical for protecting your home, your family and your possessions. If you see signs of roof damage from inside the home, such as water damage, physical leaks, and signs of mold and mildew, these are warning signs of roof trouble that tell you there is likely a major issue with the roof that needs to be addressed.
It is just as important to also inspect everything from the outside, and make sure there are no issues with the roofing system that could soon lead to bigger problems. Depending on how easy it is to get onto the roof and safely inspect it, the inspections sometimes can be done by the homeowner. But in most cases, Stay Dry Roofing, one of the most trusted roofing companies in the greater Indy area, advises hiring a roofing professional to make sure it is done correctly and safely when looking for any warning signs of roof trouble.
Even when hiring a professional, however, a homeowner that is familiar with the following warning signs of roof trouble will be better informed when something is found. The information below will give you a basis regarding what to consider as you work to fix the problems.
Four Important Warning Signs of Roof Trouble that are Often Overlooked
Prolonged Standing Water
This is one of the warning signs of roof trouble that homeowners can check on their own. Standing water on the roof, also called “ponding,” can lead to rapid deterioration of the roof. If it’s neglected, it rots out the underlying structures and cause leaks. Leaks that go undetected can rust through screw and support struts, it can rot through support beams and posts, and cause normally light loads to double, or even triple, their weight due to water absorption. Additionally, excessive standing water that accumulates during a heavy storm can become too heavy and cause a roof failure or collapse.
Bubbles that Appear in the Shingles, Siding, or other Roofing Materials
Bubbles may indicate trapped moisture in the roof material. This can weaken individual shingles or areas of the roof, and make them more susceptible to wind and storm damage. It can also make it more prone to water damage. Another cause of bubbles can be the deterioration of the roofing material due to rot caused by water damage occurring over a long period of time. The presence of bubbles, blisters, and warping of the material used on your roof are some major warning signs of roof trouble that cannot be ignored!
Damaged or Loose Roof Flashings
Roof flashings are metal strips or other impervious material that are used around the edge of the roof, in the valleys, and on the peaks to seal edges against water entry. It is also installed around objects like the chimney and skylights. However, a gap in the flashing or loosening of the flashing makes it much easier for water and moisture to seep into the roofing system and cause problems.
This is one of the warning signs of roof trouble that can be difficult for a homeowner to assess. So, at least once a year, it can be helpful to have someone experienced in roof repair in Indianapolis to inspect your roof to check the flashing and all other areas.
Damaged or Loose Skylights
If there are skylights in the roof, the fixtures and flashing and all materials around them need to be carefully inspected to ensure all seams are tightly sealed against water entry. Any gaps or loose light fixtures can also allow dirt and debris to accumulate which can further expand gaps and lead to leaks. Also, over time, the plastic domed panels may grow to be brittle after years of exposure to the sun and elements and they can become susceptible to cracking and breaking.
The warning signs of roof trouble that are related to skylights can sometimes be seen from the outside at ground level when the homeowner uses binoculars. But this is far from a given. So, if you spot signs of leaking or see gaps that allow daylight from inside your house, this is a problem you want to address right away.
Roof Care and Maintenance
The best way to avoid the headache and cost of major roof-related problems is to develop regular care and preventive maintenance routine with your roof. Routine maintenance prolongs the life of a roof, and can also help you opt for minor repairs rather than the expensive replacement that can be caused from neglecting warning signs of roof trouble.
There are many warning signs of roof trouble, and Stay Dry Roofing is here to offer the best roof repair in Indianapolis that you can possibly find. Here are some things to keep in mind as you work on roof care and maintenance throughout the year:
- All inspections should involve checking the roofing system from the inside and the outside of the home.
- After a major storm that has a lot of wind, it is important to check the roof for any damaged caused by wind and debris that may have impacted the roof.
- Inspections done by roofing contractors like Stay Dry Roofing need to focus on catching problems when they’re small so they’re easier to address and fix.
- Remove any loose objects and accumulated debris from the roof so they do not hold moisture against the roof, and so they do not get too heavy.
- Keep trees trimmed so branches do not push and scrape against the roof and damage shingles and other roofing elements.
- Check gutters and downspouts, and make sure they are kept clear so the water can drain as it should rather than build up and flood the roof.
- If located in an area that gets major storms, like hurricanes and tornadoes, follow state and local guidelines for roofing and structural protection.
- After a hail storm with medium to large sized hail, it is important to check the roof, even if you do not suspect damage, to make sure everything is intact.
Consulting a professional roofing contractor like Stay Dry Roofing can be a great way to protect your investment of a new roof, and to keep your current roof looking as good as possible for as long as possible. The contractor can also help to keep tabs on the health of the roofing system, help you stay on track with maintenance, help answer questions about your roof, and help make sense of any work that does need to be done.
It can be challenging to face roof repairs in Indianapolis on your own, and if you do not want to miss the warning signs of roof trouble, then call Stay Dry Roofing and we will be there to help you every step of the way!
Ensuring Quality Roof Repair in Indianapolis
When you’ve encountered any warning signs of roof trouble, the following are some things to consider when hiring a roofing contractor:
- Go with an established, licensed, and experienced professional with a proven track record of success in the local area.
- Obtain several bids for services and compare the costs, the work they can do, and what all is included in quotes.
- Ask for and check references, and make sure you get references for work that is similar to the work you need to have done.
- Ask to see certificates of insurance to ensure they are current, are for the area you are in, and that the roofer is a legitimate business.
- Make sure the bid has been given in writing and that it clearly outlines everything that will be done, including a general timeline and the budget quoted.
- Make sure you understand everything included in the warranty information, and you know what is and is not covered by the warranty.
Questions? Contact Stay Dry Roofing at (317) 308-7773
A properly maintained roof is necessary to protect your home and the treasured possessions and family members who live within it. It is important to stay on top of roofing work, and to watch for any warning signs of roof trouble.
As a family owned, locally operated Indianapolis business Stay Dry Roofing is a trusted name in all things roofing. We are experts in every aspect of gutters and roofing, roof repair, roof replacement and roof maintenance. We serve Indianapolis and the surrounding communities, including Brownsburg, Franklin, Greenfield, Martinsville, Noblesville and more.
It is always better to take care of minor damage and issues sooner rather than later! Stay Dry Roofing is here for all of your needs when it comes to finding roof repair in Indianapolis and the surrounding area. Offering a FREE QUOTE is always a part of how we do business. Call us at (317) 308-7773 or use our Contact Page. We look forward to hearing from you!